Saturday, December 14, 2013

Mention of the Setimo


As much as I have tried to forget, I know my mom will be reading each and every one of these blog posts and that didn't pose a problem until chapter 7 of the text. I mean who really wants to talk about Sexual Intimacy on the internet, when they know their parents are reading. Okay maybe some 23 year-olds are okay with it, but I am definitely not one to volunteer to discuss sexual intimacy with my parents or anyone for that matter. I probably taught chastity at least 20 times on my mission and that was usually fairly simple, but as a missionary you never discuss in detail the necessity of intimacy within marriage. But since I still feel like I am not qualified to talk about this subject, let's talk about what shouldn't happen. No, I am not going to teach you about the commandment and there won't be mention of the setimo (Portuguese for the 7th). We need to discuss where our youth are getting their information because as we know if it doesn't come from you, they'll get it somewhere.

Let's let Preach My Gospel teach us a little," you are surrounded by people. You pass them on the street, visit them in their homes,

and travel among them. All of them are children of God, your brothers and sisters.

God loves them just as He loves you. Many of these people are searching for purpose in

life. They are concerned for their families. They need the sense of belonging that comes from

the knowledge that they are children of God, members of His eternal family. They want to

feel secure in a world of changing values. They want “peace in this world, and eternal life

in the world to come” (D&C 59:23), but they are “kept from the truth because they know

not where to find it” (D&C 123:12)." Just as missionaries pass hundreds of people daily on the streets, so do your children -- at school, at extra curricular activities, and even at church. Children are constantly hearing and searching out information and like gospel seekers they may not know where to find truth "in a world of changing values". Teach your children about proper and improper intimacy. Teach them to live pure lives, but not to be afraid to be  sexually intimate when the time is proper  after marriage. And most importantly, build a strong relationship with them so they, unlike many people, do know where to seek truth. Sex and intimacy are an important part of life and our purpose here on Earth. Don't mess up your kids view of intimacy by being awkward, avoiding the topic, waiting too long to talk, focusing on sex as a bad thing, or putting fear into their heads about intimacy. Physical, emotional, and spiritual intimacy is a necessary part of life that is unavoidable. I know at the beginning I joked about talking about this in front of my parents, but the fact is that even through the awkward moments that I would love to have skipped over, my parents did talk to me and they did show affection for one another and they did the best they could with such sensitive topic. Be there for your children. Emphasize love and the sacred nature of sex, the importance of preparing for marriage and teach them about the Atonement. Teach them that if they do make mistakes, that they can be overcome through proper repentance and the mercy of our Savior. Sex is important. Talk about it and do it right.

 

2 comments:

  1. LOL! So all those "awkward" conversations were worth it? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS VIDEO IS Perfect!
    http://www.mormonchannel.org/video/mormon-messages?v=2255402791001

    ReplyDelete