Saturday, December 14, 2013

The myth behind Julie and Todd

It's definitely not as easy as Julie and Todd make it seem in Saturday's Warrior. As the song goes, "I've seen that smile somewhere before. I've heard your voice somewhere before. It seems we've talked like this before....'Sometime, who can be certain when...'...'But if I knew you then, it's strange, I can't remember.....' ". Trust me. As a little girl, teenager, and young adult I've seen and heard Saturday's Warrior over 100 times (yes, I know that seems insane) and I always thought that one day I would find my prince charming, someone I'd met in the preexistence who I was destined to find. Fortunately (and sometimes unfortunately) in my teen years, I discovered that Saturday's Warrior is not doctrine. Sorry, ladies. But, you most likely didn't meet the man of your dreams in the preexistence; and if you did, you probably will never find him here on Earth. Okay, okay. I really am not a Debbie downer and I do believe in true love and like most girls I LOVE a good Cinderella story, but dating is not what Julie makes it out to be and true love can be created with almost anyone in the world.

We've all dreamt of  finding the "one", but is that really how it works. Is there really only ONE person out there that I am meant to spend eternity with? If that is true, how does that fit into Heavenly Father's merciful plan? It DOESN'T and it is NOT true. In 1976 President Kimball said this about soul mates and marriage, " 'Soul mates' are fiction and an illusion; and while every young man and young woman will seek with all diligence and prayerfulness to find a mate with whom life can be most compatible and beautiful, yet it is certain that almost any good man and any good woman can have happiness and a successful marriage if both are willing to pay the price.There is a never-failing formula which will guarantee to every couple a happy and eternal marriage; but like all formulas, the principal ingredients must not be left out, reduced, or limited. The selection before courting and then the continued courting after the marriage process are equally important, but not more important than the marriage itself, the success of which depends upon the two individuals—not upon one, but upon two." President Kimball continues to explain that the formula for lasting marriages includes: proper and thoughtful selection and an agreement to work toward a successful marriage, great unselfishness, continued courting and affection throughout the marriage, and complete obedience to the commandments. As we study dating and the laws of attraction we learn that we date those who we are physically attracted to, those who live near us, and those with whom we have commonalities.  As we do that and follow President Kimball's counsel I am certain that we won't find the Todd to our Julie, but we will find someone who can complement us and who we can build eternal lives with. Now, isn't that better than someone who can finish our sandwiches.....I mean sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment